Thursday, September 3, 2015

SharePoint The data source control failed to execute the insert command


Recently I had migrated my list and its contents using ShareGate from Prod site to Dev site. There were some warnings and errors, but I chose to ignore them thinking that there may be related to users not being found on the dev environment. Creating a new item in that list gave the following error.

The data source control failed to execute the insert command. f8722a9d-2ff6-0080-1d51-17e445d41d9e


The list contained 2 lookup columns, one of them was a self-lookup. If I had paid attention to the error report, I would have spotted this error:
"The lookup column cannot be copied because the list '' is not in a parent site or in the same site as the column.". 
This was because the lookup column could not be created, as the list was not there. I created the lookup column and the new item creation worked as expected.

First look for any missing columns in the list if this error occurs, before looking for other solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment